Our network

Residents escape Gaithersburg fire, Christmas gifts saved | News

Title (Max 100 Characters)

Residents escape Gaithersburg fire, Christmas gifts saved
News


GAITHERSBURG, Md. (WUSA9) -- A fire in a Montgomery County townhouse caused moderate damage, but all the occupants of the home escaped and firefighters were able to salvage the family's Christmas gifts.

It happened around 5 p.m. on Anna Court in Gaithersburg, according to Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Services spokesperson Pete Piringer.

Sixty-five firefighters arrived to battle the fire, which originated in a second-floor bedroom in the three-story home. The fire was contained to the single home, but extended from the bedroom into the hallway and attic.

Three adults and five children were displaced as a result. Firefighters quickly covered the family's Christmas tree and gifts, possibly salvaging the holiday.

ID=20900617

Red Cross officials were on scene assisting the family.

Piringer said the cause of the fire was accidental, and ruled to be a child playing with a lighter. The house sustained $120,000 worth of damage.

ID=20900607


News

Gaithersburg Deals